Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Just another day in Paradise



I know, I just quoted a lame Phil Collins song, and I'm sorry if it's now stuck in your head or you're reminiscing about watching him perform it at the Grammys many years ago like my brother and I did when we were kids and didn't yet realize that the Grammys suck.

ANYWAY.

Since this whole "not working" thing is soooo rough, I decided that a trip to Maui was in order. So the BF and I went for a long weekend of snorkeling, poolside reading, and yummy dinner eating. I know, life is hard, right? Maybe I can justify the ridiculously indulgent month of September by declaring it my "Birthday Month"? Instead of having a birthday party and concentrating all the birthday celebrations into one day, I chose to spread them out over the course of the month. There, that sounds reasonable, right?

Point being, I spent some of the latter part of the month lounging around on Maui, and I will now proceed to rub it in your face.

Jealous?


We stayed at the Makena Resort, which is located on one of my favorite beaches on Maui. This beach has a relaxed, uncrowded vibe and offers great snorkeling and turtle-spotting. So we did some of that.

Also went on a boat trip to Molokini, the tiny island off the coast which is actually the rim of a submerged volcano. It's a marine sanctuary, so lots of great fish-watching. Our captain had set up some fishing poles on the back of the boat, with lures dragging in the water, and one of them caught a Mahi-Mahi, which we got to reel in! Unfortunately no photo, since we were busy reeling in the fish.

And of course, we ate well.

Delicious fish at Capische.


So really, it was pretty darn nice. Not a bad way to finish up the Birthday Month of Being Ridiculously Indulgent. Now I think I need to get back to basics by maybe spending October camping and/or doing some hard labor. I'll keep you posted.

Gratuitous photo of a Banyan tree, because I was pleased with how this pic turned out.

1 comment:

FinnyKnits said...

I love Makena Beach! I love Capische! I love Maui!

And I'm now very nostalgic for my August vacation to the place of the very same name.

Congrats on your month of indulgence and happy belated birthday!