Sunday, October 12, 2008

Every time, it feels a little less like I am going to die


Or, "Ascent of Mt. Tam #2". 

Two weeks ago, I climbed Mt. Tam on my bike for the first time. I went with my local cycling club, Mission Cycling. If they hadn't organized the ride, I doubt I would ever have done it on my own. But for some reason, I decided to give it a shot and go with them. And I actually made it to the top. But once I was there, I was not sure if I would be able to make it home. I was pretty spent. In the end, I did make it back to SF, but I was pretty worthless for the rest of the weekend. 

So this weekend, I thought I would try it again, and see if I could make it to the top with a bit more energy left over than last time. I'm happy to say that I made it to the top, and back home, feeling good the whole way. Woohoo! I'm still really slow, but just doing it at all kinda makes me feel like a badass. And this time, I took photos to document the ride. 


Riding along the bike trail just north of Sausalito. I am at sea level. Mt. Tam looms in the distance at around 2,400 feet high. Can I really do this?
















Beautiful weather...















View back down to SF - I started my ride back there somewhere. 
















Almost there! This last stretch is pretty brutal - a long steep climb at the very end, when you are already really tired. 




















Made it to the top! It's peanut butter jelly time. 
















Riding back into the city. 
















No comments: