Monday, July 24, 2006

What the hell is an olallieberry?

About a week ago, I dragged some friends along to Pescadero to pick Olallieberries. I totally stole this idea off of The Restaurant Whore . But hey, imitation is the greatest form of flattery, right? Plus, the berries are only $2 a pound if you pick them yourself! Basically, I went to town picking berries - crouching down to get underneath the branches, reaching in through the thorns to pick those hard-to-get-at berries - while my friends leisurely picked off the tops of the vines. About an hour later, I had 6 pounds of berries and everyone else had one or two. And half of Regina's berries weren't ripe because she didn't know that black = ripe, whereas red = sour.

Here's a picture of Shantal and David showing off their pickings, while I am bitching about how little they picked:


The sad news is that I didn't use up the berries fast enough, and most of them molded within a week. Even though they were in the fridge! Lame. Next time I will have to pick the berries on a Saturday so that I have all day Sunday to whip up yummy berry treats. Let that be a lesson to you all.

1 comment:

shantal said...

hey I may have only picked two pounds but at least I picked them black!