Wednesday, June 03, 2009

220V + hair = cheveux brulés

Um... so I kinda burned my hair.



I'm still not quite sure what went wrong, because I checked all the technical specifications on my adapter before I left the US. But I must have messed up somehow, because things went terribly awry. I'll post a photo once I find someplace to upload them from my camera, but until then, here's the story:



My second day in Berlin, I woke up to find that my hair was pretty much standing on end. This happens from time to time, and maybe I should just leave my hair alone and be proud of myself for being the only person on the planet who is capable of having a straight-haired 'fro. But of course I don't do that. Instead, I try to tame the hair-beast with my trusty straightening iron. But on this particular day, this generally uneventful process failed horribly, as I watched my hair sizzle and curl up into thick bushels of hay. Have you ever curled ribbon with a pair of scissors? Or melted a plastic straw over a flame? It was kind of like a combination of those two: all the curl of the ribbon, plus all the burny, crinklyness of the melted straw. Not a pretty sight. Of course I quickly stopped using the iron, but it was too late. The damage was done, and I won't be rid of this mess on my head until it grows out enough that I can cut it off. Which I estimate will be about 6 months. Until then, anyone have any ideas for ways to put this stuff to good use? Maybe some sort of super-hip hairstyle? I'm all ears...

1 comment:

Paul said...

Ooooo, can't wait to see the pics of this. Time to shave your head like you've always dreamed of doing? Maybe build a new wardrobe around a series of attractive hats?