Friday, February 10, 2006

The Cheesesteak Shop

Let's talk about cheesesteaks. Now, I don't claim to know what an authentic philly cheesesteak should taste like. I've never been to Philly. But let me tell you, I like me some cheesesteak. I don't care if it's "authentic" or not, as long as it's meaty and saucy and delicious. And the cheesesteaks at The Cheesesteak Shop on Divisadero are all of the above.

When I first stepped inside the shop, I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical. The place looks like a run-down taco bell, and smells faintly of cat piss. But my fears were soon laid to rest. The cheesesteaks come with none of the extra frilly ingredients like lettuce or tomatoes. Just meat, cheese, onions and an assortment of grilled sweet and spicy peppers. None of that bell pepper crap. Oh, and a healthy dose of grease. Or as I like to call it: meat juice. This sucker is very juicy. And the cheese doesn't just sit on top of the meat, it's all mixed in and totally melted. The peppers on top are tangy and spicy, and add a nice little kick to the whole experience. Seriously folks, this cheesesteak was so good, it gave me those special feelings that I normally only get for George Clooney. I want to marry this cheesesteak. Or, at least go on a second date.

And don't forget to order up some of their awesome sides: Onion Rings. Twisty fries. Enough said.

Next time I go, I'll have to try the mysterious "TastyKakes" that are apparently an east coast thing that I, California Girl, am obviously too ignorant to know about. But make no mistake, there will be a next time. After all, once I fill up my frequent buyer card, I get a free cheesesteak!

No comments: