Friday, February 10, 2006

Firecracker, my ass

Last weekend, my roommate and I decided to take a little stroll down Valencia to try out our local yuppie-Chinese place: Firecracker. Big mistake. First of all, the place had a bunch of empty tables, but they said they couldn't seat us until 9:30 unless we were willing to take the drafty table by the entrance. Ok, fine. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume that there were reservations for those empty tables. Plus they'll throw in free soup or tea if we sit at the drafty table. Score! We're in. I'm a sucker for free shit.

The soup was actually really good, if you like whitenized Chinese food. It was spicy, and didn't have any weird, unidentifiable meats in it. Problem is, everything else that we ordered sucked. Mongolian beef: soggy meat, no spice, little flavor. Firecracker chicken: random chicken pieces with lots of fat, and too much deep-fry batter, also no spice. C'mon, I could have gotten this meal for $5.95 at Panda Express, and would have saved myself some serious cash (each entree at Firecracker was 15 bucks!).

The clincher was that the one waiter who was stuck with serving all the tables took forever to clear our plates and bring the check. After 10 or 15 minutes, I had to flag him down, since we wanted to get away from this nasty food, pronto. We forked over the hefty sum for our so-called-dinner, and high-tailed it outta there.

Lesson learned. From now on, I will heed the warnings of my friend Dave, and stay away from yuppie Chinese food - no good can come of it.

No comments: